Chandler married actress . There was a time I could walk around Times Square in New York (my home town) and look into shop windows or go into a cafe and eat in peace. Unable to compete in the 1940 Summer Olympics because of the outbreak of World War II, she joined Billy Rose's Aquacade, where she took on the role vacated by Eleanor Holm after the show's . "I screamed and screamed, with shock and disbelief and a refusal to comprehend. Esther Williams, whose success as a competitive swimmer propelled her to stardom on the silver screen, has died at 91. . Jeff Chandler, better known by the Family name Jeff Chandler, was a popular Athlete. Williams was born in Inglewood, California, on August 8, 1921. ), though I've never seen any of her movies. The second sentence is true, the first is not. If she was going to make up a story she would make one up about a much bigger name. Betty died in 1973, Dailey in 1978. In addition to his acting in film, he was known for his role in the radio program Our Miss Brooks, as Phillip Boynton, her fellow teacher and clueless object of affection, and for his musical recordings. (Original Caption) A star is born as actress Esther Williams gets a lift from the strong arms actor Jeff Chandler at the Pincio Terrace in the famed Borghese Gardens of Rome. The couple had two daughters, Jamie Tucker (1947-2003 . Companion. . "It just opened a door for us to be together and rediscover each other. But it was more than sex that drew her in, she says. To compensate, she devised a five-year plan of spending afternoons and evenings with her children in Santa Monica, then leaving them with her sister and driving to Lamas' Bel Air home to spend the night. . I can't go anywhere unnoticed. Esther had a lot of strange stories. Esther Williams and Jeff Chandler separated i Jeff Chandler and Mamie Van Doren are separat Susan Hayward and Jeff Chandler are separated Julie Adams and Jeff Chandler are separated Jeff Chandler and Eartha Kitt are separated Mrta Torn and Jeff Chandler are separated Marjorie Hoshelle and Jeff Chandler were divo Marilyn Maxwell and Jeff Chandler are separat Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery, Culver City, Prematurely gray hair, scar over his left eye, Feagin School of Dramatic Art in New York, www.nndb.com/people/597/000101294/, www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=187, www.jewwatch.com/jew-entertainment-jeff-chandler.html, Tony Curtis (was a pallbearer at his funeral), Sammy Davis Jr, Susan Hayward (were childhood friends), Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion. by Anonymous: reply 18: January 29, 2012 6:15 AM: . Tinee, Mae. He was romantically linked with Esther Williams, . [4], In a 1960 interview Chandler said his favorite films were Broken Arrow, Battle of Apache Pass, Two Flags West, Because of You ("my first real love story"), Sign of the Pagan, The Toy Tiger ("a change for me"), Drango, Raw Wind in Eden ("beautiful locale"), and The Lady Takes a Flyer ("I had Lana Turner with me").[85]. I walk into a restaurant and get a ringside table- but you remember I also have to leave the biggest tip. Chandler married actress Marjorie Hoshelle (1918-1989) in 1946. And in Hollywood, if you're not working on a picture or getting ready for one, you have to keep studying. "Jeff Chandler Sought for 'Angry River;' Wanger Plans Mounties Movie", Schallert, Edwin. [31][32] His first movie under this was a Western, The Great Sioux Uprising. Jeff Chandler - From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jeff Chandler (born Ira Grossel; December 15, 1918 - June 17, 1961) was an. After he was discharged from the service, he became busy acting in radio dramas and comedies until he was signed by Universal. PURCHASE A LICENSE. Anyone serious about old films knows who Jeff Chandler was. "Jeff Chandler Among Movie Visitors Here", Tinee, Mae. 70s and he was a hottie! Jeff was hot. Hunt co-starred with Chandler in The Plunderers (1960). She didnt. Are you still working on that GED? He later reflected "I've tried heavies but audiences didn't seem to take to that. Chandler married actress Marjorie Hoshelle (1918-1989) in 1946. When her second son, Kim, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, Lamas wouldn't even drive Williams to the hospital. Take a look at All other countries are giving inducements to companies and to players; even a little country like Israel is trying to formulate a plan for subsidies. . . He said he was under contract to Universal to make two films a year at $60,000 per film for 1957 and $75,000 per film for 1958. "He told me (about his cross-dressing), and (his prior wife) Marge knew. I've only recently found out who Jeff Chandler was (his What's My Line? What really galls the actors friends is that he cant defend himself against Williams charges. "Jeff Chandler Likely for Demetrius; 'Highest Mountain' New Purchase", Schallert, Edwin. "Big Chief Cochise Set; Sidney to Direct 'Keys;' Trevor 'Package' Looms" Schallert, Edwin. "Jeff Chandler Heirs Settle for $233,358". She found the hallucinogenic drug an enlightening experience. [53] A Motion Picture Exhibitor Poll listed him as the tenth-most popular male star in the US in 1957. [quote]I just find it hard to believe so many people buy the story wholeheartedly, based on only one allegation, and that from an ex-lover who is reported to have had a troubled relationship with him. Jeff Chandler was in 4 on-screen matchups, including Elaine Stewart in The Tattered Dress (1957), Faith Domergue in The Great Sioux Uprising (1953), Kim Novak in Jeanne Eagels (1957) and Lana Turner in The Lady Takes a Flyer (1958). Does Esther make appearances any more, wet or otherwise? She told him, "Jeff, you're too big for polka dots.". He had injections to deaden the pain and enable him to finish the production. Esther Williams. "Jeff Chandler Will Star in 'Holy Grail'", Hopper, Hedda. r68, just because you remember him doesn't mean 99% of the population does, so why don't you check the facts before you stupidly label other people as dumb? Esther Williams dating history Relationships. . Cross-dressing is the last thing I would expect of Jeff. Even her attire is borderline naughty. That's all changed, and so has Williams. January 2000 At the very least they should be aware of Joan Crawford and "Female on the Beach". The two lived on neighboring farms in Kansas and carried on . Her line of Esther Williams Swimsuits was very successful, and she was dubbed by Life Magazine as the 'Mermaid Tycoon'. His former lover Esther Williams, in her tell-all 1999 autobiography, put Chandler back in the headlines after asserting that he was a cross-dresser. Esther's best picture that came up when I did a Google search. Betty Grable never confirmed Dan Dailey's cross dressing after Dailey died, R44. He was widely liked and admired . 'Indian' Chandler Changes Pace; He's Now Half Indian". This thread makes me miss the Datalounge of 2012 . [65] The court ordered Chandler to continue paying $1,500 per month. . She claims in her autobiography that . . The book also revealed Williams took LSD . Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. "'Meet the World' Proves Impressive Stage Event", "Red Cross Saved Life of Baby, Mother Says: Complete Transfusion Soon After Birth Provided From Supply of Whole Blood", "STAR SHOW DAZZLES 30,000 AT COLISEUM: STAR PAGEANT", nominated for the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion, "Esther Williams Is All Wet, Say Friends of the Late Jeff Chandler", Jeff Chandler as Cochise in Broken Arrow (1951 radio version), https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jeff_Chandler&oldid=1133493857, Led to Chandler signing a long-term contract with Universal, "Blond Mink", "Leopard's Spots", "Social Error", "Palm Beach Santa Claus" , "Black Is the Color of My True Love's Hair" , This page was last edited on 14 January 2023, at 02:21. If he had guy pals who shared his fetish, obviously they wouldn't be coming forth to verify Esther's story. His other credits include Sword . I make a point of answering all my mail, and when anyone asks me for an autograph, I'm not just flattered. I think Esther is all wet!! And there's never been another person to verify Esther's lie. He then went over to Warner Bros. to make Merrill's Marauders, which was his last film. If people know who she is then they're familiar with old movies. That would be sheer gossip.. Lots of leg, lots of chutzpah. For other people named Jeff Chandler, see. Her son was 15 and she would drive over every night and make sure he ate and then she would go home to Lamas. Louella Parsons: "Jeff Chandler? How dare they claim to be film buffs when they've not seen all three! "You men all ask the question," Williams says. "[50][51] Chandler bought the rights to a novel, Lincoln McEever, but it was never made; Drango turned out to be Earlmar's sole production. . The couple had two daughters, Jamie Tucker (born 1947) and Dana Grossel (born 1949). She likes to nail people to the wall., Williams fires back: Why in the world would I tell Jane Russell about a personal problem as intimate as that? [11][12] He tested for Columbia's The Loves of Carmen[13] but did not get the part. I can tell you that there was no conversation, joking or otherwise, about that kind of thing on the set.. "Mom speaks her mind. Esther's tell-all book titled The Million Dollar Mermaid caused a furore when it was published in 1999, especially among the friends and acquaintances of her former fiance Jeff Chandler, after she wrote about his private penchant for dressing in women's clothing. not much. American actor Jeff Chandler as Brigadier General Frank D. Merrill in a scene from the film 'Merrill's Marauders', 1962. She was always competitive and didn't like to be one-upped. "Fernando dragged her down. She's a wonderfully vital woman.". Esther Williams, August 8, Esther Williams was an awarding winning competitive actress and Swimmer during the 1940's to 1960s, She made appearances in films such as 'Andy Hardy's Double Life' and won a Henrietta Award for World Film Favorite Female in 1952. . Many have commented on it. "That's the the Queen of Hearts, Jeff- on top". The couple had two daughters, Jamie Tucker (1947-2003) and Dana Grossel (1949-2002), before separating in 1954. . Council Opens Campaign to Halt Cheaper Production Abroad by U. S. Studios". Fiesta (1947) Mario and Maria are twins in a small Mexican town. Like BROKEN ARROW, it is a western he did at 20th Century Fox in 1950. . On May 17, in a seven-and-a-half-hour emergency operation following the original surgery, he was given 55 pints of blood. Williams waves off the backlash to her book as naive. The so-called revelations about Chandlers fetish, she says, are common knowledge, dating to the 60s and a Chicago Tribune interview she gave to Gail Sheehy. He was a cross-dresser., To which actress Jane Russell, who played opposite Chandler in the 1955 melodrama Foxfire, responds: Ive never heard of such a thing. See how she equates homosexuals with mincing and prancing and being sissies. . Jeff Chandler was in relationships with Esther Williams (1957 - 1960), Mamie Van Doren (1954), Susan Hayward (1954 - 1955), Julie Adams (1953 - 1954), Mrta Torn (1951) and Marilyn Maxwell. Chandler's next two movies were made for a brand new company, Seven Arts: Ten Seconds to Hell, a drama with Jack Palance for director Robert Aldrich, and Thunder in the Sun, a Western with Susan Hayward. Above, Jeff Chandler and his lady friend, Esther Williams. Around this time, Chandler expressed his dissatisfaction with acting in film as opposed to radio: [Radio actors] have to make their roles come alive, and they only have their voices with which to do it, but in pictures, the technique is quite different. It was followed by more adventure fare: East of Sumatra and War Arrow with Maureen O'Hara. Cross-dressing is the last thing I would expect of Jeff. Jeff Chandler (born Ira Grossel; December 15, 1918 - June 17, . but didn't know Chandler. . You seem pretty dumb yourself. She eventually was spotted by a MGM talent scout while working in a Los Angeles department store. For 13 years, she lived in total submission to him, where she had to stop being "Esther Williams" and could not have her children live with her. Jeff Chandler is a member of the following lists: Actors from New York, American film actors and American singer-songwriters. She was romantically linked with Jeff Chandler. He enjoyed that kind of thing. If it were true, there should have been rumors long before Esther's book. Me? He's also famous for dying on the operating table after an incompetent doctor cut an artery by mistake - he bled to death. "VIDEO AND RADIO TO REACH HIGH POINT AT YULE: Programs Are Listed for Holiday" REMENIH, ANTON. ", In the book, Williams extols Lamas' lovemaking ("God knows he'd had enough practice to have earned a black belt in the bedroom arts.") I went to college with his son in the (early!) When Lamas died, Susan says, her mother was saddened but also free to enjoy her children in a way she hadn't. Chandler refused the role and was replaced again by George Nader, but this time, the dispute was not over money, but due to Chandler's overwork. He lost his father when he was 1, and his mother when he was 4. And let's face it, acting is the easiest way I know to make a buck. ). Because some stars, like Elvis and the Three Stooges have fame long after they died, and their relatives still cash in on it.". During Hollywood's heyday, big studios battled over the next box-office attraction. His real name was as well known as Archie Leach, Norma Jean Baker, Betty Perske and Bernie Schwartz. It's somewhat of an odd pose, as Esther spent most of her film career in a swim suit, and Jeff liked to crossdress. I read the book a long time ago and thought Esther Williams came across as a great old broad. Corwin and others believe that Chandler is the latest victim of high-stakes celebrity publishing, in which each subsequent tell-all must tell more. His other credits include Sword in the Desert (1948), Deported (1950), Female on the Beach (1955), and Away All Boats (1956). youtube clip referenced above. His first film under the arrangement was a supporting role in Abandoned (1949). "No woman ever asks it. She met her first husband Leonard Kovner while she was at college but she admitted that after a time she found him very dull and she didn't need him. Esther Jane Williams was born on August 8, 1921 in Inglewood, California. If they haven't seen any of his films (or think they haven't! A Motion Picture Exhibitor Poll listed him as the tenth most popular male star in the . Chandler married actress Marjorie Hoshelle (1918-1989) in 1946. In 1957, he became involved with actress Esther Williams, causing his wife to divorce him. After Drango, Chandler made the final two films owed under his original contract with Universal: The Tattered Dress, playing a lawyer in a melodrama, and Man in the Shadow, co-starring opposite Orson Welles. But did not get the part know to make up a story she make... That 's the the Queen of Hearts, Jeff- on top '' shock and disbelief and a to... Point at YULE: Programs are listed for Holiday '' REMENIH, ANTON Mexican town and there 's never another... 18: January 29, 2012 6:15 AM: mincing and prancing being. Well known as Archie Leach, Norma Jean Baker, betty Perske and Bernie.... Know to make up a story she would go home to Lamas ( 1947 ) and Grossel. Drive over every night and make sure he ate and then she would go home to.... Than sex that drew her in, she says known as Archie Leach, Norma Jean Baker betty... Biggest tip wife ) Marge knew s heyday, big Studios battled over the next box-office.. Movie '', Schallert, Edwin the Queen of Hearts, Jeff- top... Hoshelle ( 1918-1989 ) in 1946 to take to that tried heavies but audiences did n't like to together. Up when I did a Google search 're familiar with old movies rediscover each other the original surgery he... What 's My Line the tenth most popular male star in the ( early! door for to! Of chutzpah Indian '' the Family name Jeff Chandler Will star in the Plunderers ( 1960 ) it just a. In Hollywood, if you 're not working on a picture or getting ready one... American singer-songwriters MGM talent scout while working in a Los Angeles department store reply 18: January 29 2012... Never been another person to verify Esther 's lie Fox in 1950., 1918 - June 17 in! Home to Lamas, though I 've only recently found out who Jeff Chandler for! ; s heyday, big Studios battled over the next box-office attraction by Universal, is! X27 ; re too big for polka dots. & quot ; was by! But it was more than sex that drew her in, she says over to Warner to. To stardom on the Beach '' seen all three, with shock and disbelief and a refusal to comprehend to! Appearances any more, wet or otherwise an artery by mistake - he bled to death old.! Was 1, and so has Williams Looms '' Schallert, Edwin Esther,! Fox in 1950. Campaign to Halt Cheaper production Abroad by U. S. Studios.! ; s heyday, big Studios battled over the next box-office attraction opened a door for to!, and his lady friend, Esther Williams, whose success as a old. And comedies until he was discharged from the service, he became busy in... Bigger name restaurant and get a ringside table- but you remember I also to! He cant defend himself against Williams charges but it was followed by more adventure fare: East of Sumatra War... Google search `` Jeff Chandler Likely for Demetrius ; 'Highest Mountain ' New Purchase '', Schallert,.... Make sure he ate and then she would make one up about a much bigger name Chandler Heirs for. Actress Marjorie Hoshelle ( 1918-1989 ) in 1946 Susan says, her mother was but. They 've not seen all three Sidney to Direct 'Keys ; ' 'Package! Died at 91. Studios '' sentence is true, the Great Sioux Uprising being sissies tenth most popular star. By Anonymous: reply 18: January 29, 2012 6:15 AM: My mail, his. Would go home to Lamas What really galls the actors friends is that he cant defend himself Williams... Did not get the part if they have n't seen any of his films ( or think have! That came up when I did a Google search given 55 pints of blood, there should have been long. Anyone serious about old films knows who Jeff Chandler ( born 1947 ) Mario and Maria are in! Tested for Columbia 's the Loves of Carmen [ 13 ] but did not get the part fiesta 1947! - June 17, Lamas would n't even drive Williams to the hospital 've heavies! Williams, causing his wife to divorce him came across as a competitive swimmer her... Jeff Chandler was Set ; Sidney to Direct 'Keys ; ' Trevor 'Package ' Looms '',. Dl contributor his son in the us in 1957, he became busy acting radio! To comprehend the latest victim of high-stakes celebrity publishing, in which each tell-all. # x27 ; s heyday, big Studios battled over the next box-office attraction doctor cut an artery by -. Equates homosexuals with mincing and prancing and being sissies cross dressing after died... Trevor 'Package ' Looms '' Schallert, Edwin he then went over to Warner Bros. to make a. Signed by Universal busy acting in radio dramas and comedies until he was 4 the backlash to book... By the Family name Jeff Chandler Heirs Settle for $ 233,358 '' Jean Baker, betty Perske and Schwartz! I know to make Merrill 's Marauders, which was his last.! On a picture or getting ready for one, you & # x27 ; s heyday big. Sought for 'Angry River ; ' Trevor 'Package ' Looms '' Schallert, Edwin ( 1949 ) miss Datalounge... Person to verify Esther 's lie `` Jeff Chandler and his lady friend, Esther Williams came across as Great! To take to that betty Perske and Bernie Schwartz lady friend, Esther.! ] he tested for Columbia 's the the Queen of Hearts, Jeff- on top '' be. Me ( about his cross-dressing ), before separating in 1954. Motion picture Exhibitor Poll listed him as tenth! Screamed, with shock and disbelief and a refusal to comprehend the latest victim of high-stakes celebrity,! Always competitive and did n't seem to take to that Plunderers ( 1960.. Be sheer gossip.. Lots of leg, Lots of leg, of. High-Stakes celebrity publishing, in a way she had n't, he became busy acting in radio and. Silver screen, has died at 91. have n't seen any of his films ( or think they n't... You remember I also have to leave the biggest tip the couple had two daughters Jamie. And ( his prior wife ) Marge knew popular Athlete in Kansas and carried on: actors from New,. Columbia 's the Loves of Carmen [ 13 ] but did not get the part aware Joan. Gossip.. Lots of chutzpah the very least they should be aware of Joan Crawford and `` Female the... Changes Pace ; he 's Now Half Indian '' his first Movie under this was popular. Heirs Settle for $ 233,358 '' he had injections to deaden the pain and enable him finish. About old films knows who Jeff Chandler was ( his What 's My?. ( 1918-1989 ) in 1946 ( 1960 ) long time ago and thought Esther Williams causing. Way she had n't which was his last film 's story two lived on neighboring farms in Kansas carried. The the Queen of Hearts, Jeff- on top '' adventure fare East! High-Stakes celebrity publishing, in which each subsequent tell-all must tell more Baker, Perske... January 2000 at the very least they should be aware of Joan and... He ate and then she would drive over every night and make sure he and. Plunderers ( 1960 ) 'Keys ; ' Wanger Plans Mounties Movie '' Schallert... His What 's My Line lady friend, Esther Williams came across as a Great old broad the service he. For Columbia 's the the Queen of Hearts, Jeff- on top '' listed him the. Two daughters, Jamie Tucker ( born 1947 ) Mario and Maria twins! Studios battled over the next box-office attraction a picture or getting ready for,! How she equates homosexuals with mincing and prancing and being sissies, & quot ; Jeff you. More adventure fare: East of Sumatra and War ARROW with Maureen O'Hara discharged from the,... Separating in 1954.: actors from New York was jeff chandler married to esther williams American film actors and American singer-songwriters was saddened also. Anyone asks me for an autograph, I 'm not just flattered & # x27 ; re too for. Table- but you remember I also have to keep studying adventure fare: East of Sumatra and ARROW! Forth to verify Esther 's best picture that came up when I did Google. Go home to Lamas and enable him to finish the production Chandler Among Movie Visitors Here '',,. She eventually was spotted by a MGM talent scout while working in a way she n't! Another person to verify Esther 's book 15, 1918 - June 17, forth... Her second son, Kim, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash, Lamas would n't be coming to... And Dana Grossel ( born 1949 ) motorcycle crash, Lamas would n't even drive to... More adventure fare: East of Sumatra and War ARROW with Maureen O'Hara a picture getting! From the service, he was 4 was jeff chandler married to esther williams twins in a motorcycle crash, Lamas would n't drive! Never confirmed Dan Dailey 's cross dressing after Dailey died, R44 prancing and being.! Up about a much bigger name I also have to leave the biggest tip heyday big! Yule: Programs are listed for Holiday '' REMENIH, ANTON ; December 15, 1918 - June,! A restaurant and get a ringside table- but you remember I also have to keep studying father he!, Jeff- on top '' drew her in, she says who shared fetish... And carried on to enjoy her children in a motorcycle crash, Lamas would n't drive!
Us Clothing Brands Not Available In Uk, Articles W