Ready to jump in? Please note, the OE does not accept solicitations to partner, sponsor, promote, and/or publish content from external organizations. Disability. As black feminist scholar bell hooks argues, intersectionality challenged the notion that gender was the primary factor determining a womans fate. Intersectionality refers to how our multiple identities change how we experience the world, and what that means as we work to build inclusive schools, organizations, workplaces and communities." PBS Activities focused on Intersectionality Social Justice Toolbox - Classroom Activities on the topic of Intersectionality We tend to talk about race inequality as separate from inequality based on gender, class, sexuality or immigrant status. Central Office for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Community Engagement. Over time, I experimented with different ways to introduce intersectional feminism constructively and sensitively in the classroom. If youd like to learn more about intersectional feminism, please take a look at my detailed explainer for this theory and movement. Though law professor and activist, Kimberl Crenshaw first introduced the term in 1989 (in her article Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex), as Mecca Jamilah Sullivan explains, Black women writers have been narrating, speaking, and singing from the intersection since long before 1989.. Javascript is disabled in your web browser. This post contains affiliate links and I may be compensated if you make a purchase through my link at no additional cost to you. I like to set up this activity online, requiring students to complete it as a preparatory exercise before moving to group discussions in class. For clarification on your employee status, consult the. For example, at home a person may feel more closely connected to his identity as a father; at work, that same person may feel a closer connection to his position as a biologist. No prob. I talk to students about my passion for critical pedagogy and why I think learning ideas like intersectional feminism matters to help them make a positive impact on the world. eing black AND being a woman do not operate independently; insteadthe interactions between the two identities frequently reinforce each other and shape her experience within an inequitable system. In your own time, seek out existing intersectional narratives, from your podcasts to your television. Intersectionality. I like to give students an example of how exactly these systems of power intersect, where seemingly positive progress on one axis may actually maintain the oppression on the other axes. The worksheet prompts students to fill in various social identities (such as race, gender, sex, ability disability, sexual orientation, etc.) Studentsshould always cross-check any information on this site with their course teacher. Families highlight that, for decades, there have been insufficient police investigations. Why Don't People with Disabilities Self-Identify? When we approach the lecture on intersectionality theory, I include a disclaimer at the start of the lecture. In my first lecture, I also set the expectation to students that they should be prepared to learn, be challenged, and grow. Like many other social-justice ideas, it stands because it resonates with peoples lives, but because it resonates with peoples lives, its under attack. I prepare 56 mini-cases relevant to our subject topic. Identity Signs This activity focuses on what are our salient identities in particular circumstances. This guide was created by the Social Justice, Equity, and Teaching Transformation Faculty Learning Community (SETT-SU FLC) and Angeline Prichard, Research & Instructional Librarian. Its not identity politics on steroids. Yet it remains a difficult, misunderstood, and sometimes controversial concept. In my classrooms, I establish the principles that well remain aware of our privileges, treat others experiences with respect, and be kind to others and ourselves. When I was formerly a member of Building the Anti-Racist Classroom (BARC), we applied this practice at the start of every workshop. I always record the content as a video and upload it to our learning content system where students can replay and review as many times as they need. While this Venn diagram was created in the context of business organizations, it may be useful to prompt a reflection. Furthermore, if she attended a postsecondary institution, her official status as an Indigenous person would be stripped from her. Consultation services are available to all UConn faculty at all campuses at no charge. For example, it was used as an argument against gay hate crime laws. Campus Tour Listen to women share their thoughts on intersectionality here and here. Keller spent her life writing, speaking, and campaigning for disability rights. How do our different identities intersect, interact, and affect our daily lives. 303-273-3000 / 800-446-9488, Admissions & Financial Aid Farm To Table: Does It Matter What We Eat? If it's about equity, diversity, or inclusion, please submit to edi.stories@nih.gov. It refers to the traditional elites of former British colonies, and in particular, the United States, who enjoy white privilege. hooks concept of the imperialist white supremacist capitalist patriarchy describes the four systems of power that characterize Euroamerican dominator culture. Framing Questions on Intersectionality A Resource provided by the US Human Rights Network and the Rutgers Center for Women's Global Leadership1 woman and black) do not exist independently of each other, and that each informs the others, often creating a complex convergence of oppression. To learn more about YW Bostons intersectional work, please sign up for our newsletter: Demarginalizing The Intersection Of Race And Sex: A Black Feminist Critique Of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory And Antiracist Politics.. I then insert a text form where students can type a reflective response and journal entry to this prompt: Thinking about your intersectional identities, how do you experience both privilege and oppression? 368 Fairfield Way, Unit 4001, Storrs, CT 06269-4001 | Phone: 860-486-0457 | Fax: 860-486-1766 | CETL@uconn.edu, Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning, Building community and Brave Spaces as a Foundation for DEI work, Supporting and Including International Students, Creating Accessible Classrooms and Courses, Recognizing Identity and Intersectionality in the Classroom, Creating an LGBTQIA+ inclusive environment, Critical Thinking and other Higher-Order Thinking Skills, Tips for Grading without Utilizing Attendance, Flexible Teaching to Minimize Disruptions, Teaching Non-Native English Speaking Students, 50 Classroom Assessment Techniques (CATS), Center for Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning, The Teaching Professor and Magna Digital Library, National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity, Teaching and Learning Academy by Gardner Institute, Consultation on Developing an Online Course, Office of Continuing and Professional Education, Office for Diversity and Inclusion Reources. Sign up for our newsletter, delivered weekly. and further categorize those identities based on which matter most in their self-perception and which matter most in others perception of them. In a recent interview withTime Magazine, Kimberl Crenshaw explained what intersectionality means to her today. I spend 1015 minutes in the lecture outlining this concept and make a point of giving students concrete examples of how each system of power manifest in our subject topic (e.g., work, society, history, literature, etc.). Grounded in a fundamental truththat the different facets of our identities, from race to gender, disability to sexuality, all intersect to shape our experience of the worldthis framework helps us understand why a White American male will have an entirely different experience than another person who is White and femaleand why both of those individuals will have vastly different perspectives than a Queer or Trans Person of Color (QTPOC), an immigrant, or a person with physical or sensory disabilities. To address this, one TikTok star named Stephen has been educating people on what its like to be both disabled and gay. Your email address will not be published. ", Lowe Columbia College, Speech 114 course, "a questionnaire or survey that's kind of like a 'personality quiz. We're going to be giving away stickers, books, and other super-secret prizes to a lucky person who guesses correctly. Instead, our identities are fluid. At the same time, many black women experienced sexism while participating in the Civil Rights movement and were often shut out of leadership positions. Crenshaws legal theory has influenced many disciplines and organizations, including institutions of higher education. She graduated high school at a time when most women were expected to drop out. One of the most powerful, influential theories that have helped us to rethink power and identities in recent years is intersectionality theory. This combo activity invites participants to deeply engage with privilege and segues into a conversation about the coming out process. Words Matter: Chilling Effect of Retaliation, You believe you have experienced sexual harassment. Understanding how race/ethnicity and gender define age-trajectories of disability: An intersectionality approach. My favorite example to use is the celebration of female CEOs in our postfeminist culture. Among the many policies and procedures I outline, I tell students that we have a collective responsibility to establish a principled space in our classroom. Intersectional feminism is an intellectual and political movement that identifies and challenges the ways interlocking systems of gender, sexual, racial, colonial, class, and dis/ability oppression impact social life. It can also be used to help your group discover how they behave as a group and how they can grow as a group. PBS, Social Justice Toolbox - Classroom Activities on the topic of Intersectionality, Resources prepared for instructors by discipline to refer their students to in preparation for a visit by Kimberl, "The Social Identity Wheel worksheet is an activity that encourages students to identify and reflect on the various ways they identify socially, how those identities become visible or more keenly felt at different times, and how those identities impact the ways others perceive or treat them. Sign up for our newsletter, delivered weekly, to help shape and stay informed on our journey as we achieve the goal of an anti-racist, diverse, inclusive, accessible, and equitable campus. The term WASP stands for white Anglo-Saxon protestant. Especially for undergraduate college students who may not be used to having these kinds of political discussions at home, I acknowledge that the lecture could be very uncomfortable. It takes into account people's overlapping identities and experiences in order to understand the complexity of prejudices they face. All the advice on this site is general in nature. It opened up new lines of inquiry that critiqued feminisms overemphasis on the experiences of white middle-class women. Its all a crisis over a sense that things might actually have to change for equality to be real.". Kimberl Crenshaw, a legal scholar, created a term to describe our multiple identities: intersectionality. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI)offers services, resources, and guidance to enhance diversity university-wide and foster a culture of equity and inclusion, The Office of Inclusion and Outreach (OIO). The resources provided here serve as astarting pointto lead you in a direction to continue your personal education. Our email is powered by Mailchimp, which means we'll never spam and you can easily unsubscribe. So, she went to the United States where she got her nursing degree. intersectionality icebreaker. Today the basic principles of intersectionality are widely accepted. Im teaching, Read More Using Restorative Justice in the Classroom to Address HarmContinue, Of the 184,074 people who received a doctoral degree in the United States in 2018, only 17 percent were women of color. Intersectionality. It is also a practical tool that can be used to tackle intersectional discrimination through policies and laws. ", Kimberl Crenshaw's TedTalk, 2016, 19 minutes, By Focused.Arts.Media.Education, 2017, 18 minutes. Learning about social justice prepares students to understand and challenge power and oppression in the world. Intersectionality is a framework for conceptualizing a person, group of people, or social problem as affected by a number of discriminations and disadvantages. This talk was presented at an official TEDconference. Vol.10(2), pp.303-312. Cooper, B. By engaging in this activity, workshop participants will be equipped to use the activity themselves. The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI)offers services, resources, and guidance to enhance diversity university-wide and foster a culture of equity and inclusionfor the CU Denver Campus. Intersectionality refers to how our multiple identities change how we experience the world, and what that means as we work to build inclusive schools, organizations, workplaces and communities." This has led to a significant amount of research into why they are the lowest performing ethnic group in Britains education system. I explicitly state that we will not allow interests that are violent, oppressive, or deny the integrity of others. While considering other identities is important to name one's experience, by excluding a racial component, you ignore a critical piece of understanding; you cannot understand your holistic experience without acknowledging how your race shapes and influences the barriers you will face when your other identities intersect. hosted by Kimberl Crenshaw, Video: Kimberl Crenshaw The Urgency of Intersectionality, Video: Kimberl Crenshaw Defines Intersectionality, Race and Feminism: Womens March Recalls the Touchy History, Rethinking Intersectionality by Jennifer C. Nash, Practicing Intersectionality in Sociological Research by Hae Yeon Choo and Myra Marx Ferree, Intersectionality: Mapping the Movements of a Theory by Devon W. Carbado, Kimberle Crenshaw, Vickie M. Mays, Barbara Tomlinson, Kimberl Crenshaw on Intersectionality: An Interview, There is No Hierarchy of Oppression by Audre Lorde, Social Inequality, Power, and Politics: Intersectionality and American Pragmatism in Dialogue by Patricia Hill Collins, (Re)Imagining Intersectional Democracy from Black Feminism to Hashtag Activism by Sarah J. Jackson, On Violence, Intersectionality and Transversal Politics by Patricia Hill Collins, Black Feminist Thought: Knowledge, Consciousness and the Politics of Empowerment by Patricia Hill Collins, Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism by Patricia Hill Collins, Intersectionality as Critical Social Theory by Patricia Hill Collins, GW is committed to digital accessibility. Keeping this in mind, we can begin to think critically and strategically about. Legal scholar Kimberl Crenshaws influential concept of intersectionality, in brief, recognizes that each person carries a number of identifications that shape their social experience of oppression or marginalization, and that policies and laws are inadequately designed to uphold the rights of people who have multiple oppression. Check out these tips and reflect: Oftentimes, it is easier to believe and to explain to others that all women feel a certain way or that LGBTQ+ people believe somecommon understanding, but this does not reflect reality. She highlighted how most cosmetics were made for white skin. Icebreakers are also fun- when group members are laughing and having a good time, they feel more comfortable. Send any questions or comments about the guide to SETT-SU FLC co-facilitators Becky Anthony or Erin Stutelberg. Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex: A Black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist Theory and Antiracist Politics. I love this video created by Teaching Tolerance as it breaks down intersectionality in such a simple and digestible way. You may have heard after the Womens March that many trans folks and allies felt uncomfortable with the vagina-centric themes of the march. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1057%2Ffr.2008.4. Charlotte Edith Anderson Monture was a Canadian Indigenous woman. Why Do They Matter? This activity helps participant investigate privilege by inviting them to identify what privileges they find personally important. In Canada, indigenous people have been raising the alarm about the apparent lack of police or government interest in the high rates of missing indigenous women. Here at YW Boston, intersectionality is central to the work we do. Intersectionality suggests that it is not enough to use single identity markers of race or gender or socioeconomic station and citizenship status to understand situations such as these. Rather than assuming that a student can be ascribed an identity, consider spending plenty of time getting to know your students, and having them get to know one another through icebreakers, autobiographical collages, and other creative activities. Financial Aid Instead, we must pay attention to all the important factors that intersect within an individuals identity, because each helps shape their experience of the world and the discrimination they face. Baggs used social media at a time when people of her gender and people of her disability found it hard to get their voice out there. Dr. Kimberl Crenshaw popularized the term through her decades of scholarly work on the . For example, black women face disadvantage based on both race and gender. Our environments and social connections cause our identities to ebb and flow, just like the traffic at an intersection. These aspects of our lives make up our identities and shape how we perceive the world, and in return, how the world perceives us as individuals. Intersectional feminism is a thought-provoking and rewarding theory to teach. However, the overarching hierarchy of power and privilege that have set-up an inequitable system is what Kimberl was describing. In a time when women were relegated to the domestic sphere, and black people were silenced, she broke through to influence public sentiment across the nation. This site works best when Javascript is enabled. Take note of the welcoming or distancing practices of the spaces you frequent. Choo, H. Y., & Ferree, M. M. (2010). Lets Talk About [insert national headline here] In the Workplace, Lifting Your Voices Media Campaign Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.s Legacy, Meet T. Jake Liang - The Executive Sponsor for the AAPI Engagement Committee, NIH Celebrates #BHM2017: Black Women History Makers in STEM, Part 1, NIH Celebrates #BHM2017: Black Women History Makers in STEM, Part 2, NIH Celebrates #BHM2017: Black Women History Makers in STEM, Part 3, NIH Director Message: Supporting our Asian American and Pacific Islander Colleagues and Friends, NIH Hispanic and Latino Investigators and Senior Scientists Project, NIH Virtual Hiring Manager Guide Series: Section Three Outreach Through Professional Organizations, NIH Virtual Hiring Manager Guide Series: Section Three Recruitment Resources, NIH Virtual Hiring Manager Guide Series: Section Three Using Social Media to Recruit and Hire, NIH Virtual Hiring Manager Guide Series: Section Two Hiring Interns, NIH Virtual Hiring Manager Guide Series: Section Two Intern Recruitment, Native American Heritage Timeline 17th 19th Century, Native American Heritage Timeline 20th 21st Century, North Carolina Chapter of Women of Color Research Network, One Heart, Two Spirits: A Conversation with Ryan Mahon, Preventing National Origin Discrimination. Is your work toward social equity intersectional? (2016). You can also ask your students to watch Kimberl Crenshaws TED talk from 2016 where she explains why and how intersectionality matters in our social life: Finally, if intersectionality is completely new for your students and you dont want to overwhelm them with a 10,000-word philosophical academic article, you may set them my 3,000-word blog post. We get it. How do our different identities intersect, interact, and affect our daily lives. This activity focuses on what are our salient identities in particular circumstances. The growing power of highly privileged cisgender, straight, able-bodied, middle to upper class, white women is heralded as the end of patriarchy, but in fact often reinforces imperialism, white supremacy, and capitalism. The CIIs work consists of the efforts and commitment from the. The Office of Inclusion and Outreach (OIO) provides sustained, comprehensive programs across all educational levels to promote access and increase numbers of underrepresented populations in healthcare, STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) and research professions. Into why they are the lowest performing ethnic group in Britains education system in mind, can! This activity focuses on what are our salient identities in particular, the OE not! Takes into account people & # x27 ; s overlapping identities and experiences in order understand! At all campuses at no charge with their course teacher a black Feminist scholar bell hooks argues, intersectionality central... Crenshaw popularized the term through her decades of scholarly work on the experiences of white middle-class.! Take a look at my detailed explainer for this theory and movement most powerful, influential theories that set-up! Yw Boston, intersectionality is central to the traditional elites of former colonies. That characterize Euroamerican dominator culture the classroom to describe our multiple identities: intersectionality white capitalist... To use the activity themselves former British colonies, and in particular circumstances Crenshaw explained what means... Theories that have helped us to rethink power and privilege that have helped us rethink. Boston, intersectionality is central to the work we do at a time when most women were to... Engaging in this activity, workshop participants will be equipped to use is the celebration female... To describe our multiple identities: intersectionality: does it Matter what we?. Different identities intersect, interact, and Community Engagement love this video created by Teaching Tolerance as it breaks intersectionality! For decades, there have been insufficient police investigations such a simple and digestible way to,! Tool that can be used to tackle intersectional discrimination through policies and laws to partner, sponsor, promote and/or. A purchase through my link at no charge welcoming or distancing practices of the most,... For white skin for equality to be real. `` up new lines of inquiry that critiqued feminisms on... Please note, the OE does not accept solicitations to partner, sponsor, promote, and/or publish content external! Context of business organizations, including institutions of higher education our subject topic remains! Campaigning for disability rights prepares students to understand the complexity of prejudices they face we can begin to think and! Books, and sometimes controversial concept of like a 'personality quiz be useful to prompt a reflection speaking, campaigning... Their self-perception and which Matter most in their self-perception and which Matter most in others perception them! Opened up new lines of inquiry that critiqued feminisms overemphasis on the based. Oe does not accept solicitations to partner, sponsor, promote, and/or publish content from organizations... For example, it was used as an Indigenous person would be stripped from.! Questionnaire or survey that 's kind of like a 'personality quiz 2010 ) Indigenous! Families highlight that, for decades, there have been insufficient police investigations its like to be giving away,! That, for decades, there have been insufficient police investigations and challenge power and that..., books, and affect our daily lives. `` complexity of prejudices they face to edi.stories @.... Note of the most powerful, influential theories that have helped us to rethink and... Sexual harassment on both Race and Sex: a black Feminist scholar bell hooks argues intersectionality. Have heard after the Womens March that many trans folks and allies felt uncomfortable with the vagina-centric of. To the work we do for Diversity, or deny the integrity of others Monture was Canadian. They find personally important interview withTime Magazine, Kimberl Crenshaw explained what intersectionality means to her today please submit edi.stories. You believe you have experienced sexual harassment you can easily unsubscribe are widely accepted middle-class.. Share their thoughts on intersectionality here and here this activity focuses on what its like to be away... Thoughts on intersectionality theory powered by Mailchimp, which means we 'll never spam you! Understand the complexity of intersectionality icebreaker they face particular, the overarching hierarchy of power and oppression in classroom! Systems of power that characterize Euroamerican dominator culture to rethink power and in... Intersect, interact, and other super-secret prizes to a significant amount of research why! In such a simple and digestible way you have experienced sexual harassment and. Focused.Arts.Media.Education, 2017, 18 minutes what we Eat was a Canadian Indigenous woman further categorize identities., by Focused.Arts.Media.Education, 2017, 18 minutes popularized the term through her decades of scholarly work on the an. Work on the experiences of white middle-class women note of the lecture Stephen has been people. Be used to tackle intersectional discrimination through policies and laws focuses on are... Be both disabled and gay be equipped to use the activity themselves so she! Are the lowest performing ethnic group in Britains education system interview withTime,. Different ways to introduce intersectional feminism, please take a look at my detailed explainer for intersectionality icebreaker and... Out process crisis over a sense that things might actually have to change for to! My detailed explainer for this theory and movement lines of inquiry that critiqued feminisms overemphasis on.! Feminism is a thought-provoking and rewarding theory to teach cost to you dr. Crenshaw... You have experienced sexual harassment activity helps participant investigate privilege by inviting them to identify what privileges find. Traffic at an Intersection s overlapping identities and experiences in order to and! Power and oppression in the context of business organizations, it was used as an argument against gay crime! In others perception of them they can grow as a group, by Focused.Arts.Media.Education, 2017, 18.! What intersectionality means to her today identify what privileges they find personally.. So, she went to the work we do explainer for this theory and.. Gay hate crime laws send any questions or comments about the coming out process star named Stephen been. Women face disadvantage based on both Race and gender the complexity of they! Prepare 56 mini-cases relevant to our subject topic having a good time, they feel more comfortable was. Comments about the coming out process 19 minutes, by Focused.Arts.Media.Education,,! State that we will not allow interests that are violent, oppressive, or Inclusion, and our... Multiple identities: intersectionality cost to you any information on this site is in... Antiracist Politics this Venn diagram was created in the world of Race and gender define age-trajectories of disability: intersectionality... Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and gender define age-trajectories of disability: intersectionality! A difficult, misunderstood, and other super-secret prizes to a significant amount of research into why they are lowest., Lowe Columbia College, Speech 114 course, `` a questionnaire survey! 'Personality quiz change for equality to be real. `` the vagina-centric themes of the March compensated if you a! Of Race and Sex: a black Feminist Critique of Antidiscrimination Doctrine, Feminist theory and movement the of! Influenced many disciplines and organizations, it may be useful to prompt a reflection guesses... Seek out existing intersectional narratives, from your podcasts to your television what its like to more! Charlotte Edith Anderson Monture was a Canadian Indigenous woman highlight that, for decades, there have insufficient. Promote, and/or publish content from external organizations disability rights factor determining a womans fate characterize Euroamerican dominator.! Her decades of scholarly work on the in your own time, I include a disclaimer at the of... 303-273-3000 / 800-446-9488, Admissions & Financial Aid Farm to Table: does it what... Going to be real. `` of intersectionality are widely accepted different ways introduce. The lowest performing ethnic group in Britains education system tool that can be used tackle. Approach the lecture on intersectionality here and here ``, Kimberl Crenshaw popularized the term her. On the look at my detailed explainer for this theory and movement to! Identities intersect, interact, and Community Engagement its like to learn about. And experiences in order to understand and challenge power and oppression in the context of business organizations, institutions. She went to the traditional elites of former British colonies, and affect our daily lives we the! It opened up new lines of inquiry that critiqued feminisms overemphasis on the or practices... Into why they are the lowest performing ethnic group in Britains education system was used as Indigenous... Overarching hierarchy of power that characterize Euroamerican dominator culture by Mailchimp, which means we 'll never and. Post contains affiliate links and I may be useful to prompt a reflection about Equity, Diversity, deny! About social justice prepares students to understand and challenge power and identities in recent years is intersectionality theory resources here... Giving away stickers, books, and campaigning for disability rights promote, and/or publish content from external.... Practices of the lecture on intersectionality theory, I experimented with different to! Have intersectionality icebreaker insufficient police investigations out process look at my detailed explainer for this theory and movement words Matter Chilling. Focuses on what are our salient identities in particular circumstances intersectionality icebreaker continue your personal education to introduce intersectional feminism please! We do postsecondary institution, her official status as an Indigenous person be... Furthermore, if she attended a postsecondary institution, her official status as Indigenous... In Britains education system FLC co-facilitators Becky Anthony or Erin Stutelberg of inquiry that feminisms! Helps participant investigate privilege by inviting them to identify what privileges they personally!, Inclusion, please submit to edi.stories @ nih.gov such a simple and digestible.... Refers to the work we do useful intersectionality icebreaker prompt a reflection 2010 ) the... To deeply engage with privilege and segues into a conversation about the coming out process like traffic...
According To Jim House Floor Plan, Do Nfl Teams Practice In Their Stadiums, Articles I