As a retired RN the abdominal bloating made no sense at all. Thanks for listening. During this time, theyll evaluate your progress, discuss any additional treatments (if needed), and address any concerns you may have. It's most often felt in the areas of the chest wall, armpit, or arm. I am a year out of a double mastectomy and seem to develop a lot of upper belly fat. Even though seromi are very common after surgery no one diagnosed it until I had the full body scan. Chronic pain after mastectomy happens due to nerve damage. This was at a cancer center that was connected to a hospital that had a trauma center! I wondered also if it is because of being on the AI killing off all estrogen if that was having an effect. Its okay to feel angry and upset at the world for a while. Some examples of things to pack are: Recovering from a mastectomy can be physically and emotionally challenging at times. Maximum swelling usually occurs 3-5 days after your surgery and it will generally go away completely in two weeks and even as early as 5 to 7 days. Ido have swelling around my side and back, and under my arm, and a feeling on the upperunderside of my arm of a rubbing sensation, as if it's badly grazed.i guess this is all post op symptoms but just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Hi, I've just joined the site, and wondered if anyone can help. Checklist for recovery after mastectomy. Hello @almostoutofthewoods and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. Doctors typically provide answers within 24 hours. For how long would it take to develop swelling from a flu shot if you had a mastectomy on that side? I have mild lymphedema in one arm after a bilateral mastectomy where seventeen lymph nodes were removed. Backward shoulder rolls. You can do research about them on Google to understand how they work. When you talk about massage is it literally gentle massage with your fingers. Keep at your PT and massage and other care. What happens after breast surgery. I haven't been horrendously uncomfortable most of the time. After you wake up from the anesthesia, you may notice that you have: Youll be given pain medication to help ease discomfort. For others, it may be longer. I had sentinel lymph nodes taken then and later all nodes in R arm. Can Breast Cancer Be Detected in a Complete Blood Count (CBC)? I had mastectomy and TRAM flat reconstruction on April 6, 2020. I guard my hands and arms like you wouldnt believe. This feels different like an unusual fluid retention in the belly region. I hope that your recuperation continues to progress. You also need to be comfortable wearing a seatbelt. Dr. David Earle answered General Surgery 32 years experience Variable: While everyone is different, the wounds and healin process should be about 90% complete in the 6-8 week timeframe. I saw this video yesterday on youtube explaining swelling after surgery by Dr. William Miami. So grateful I found this group! Because everyone experiences pain differently, the intensity and duration can vary between individuals. Youll have difficulty finding clothes, especially if you only have one breast. In addition to general pain or discomfort, its possible to feel: Chronic pain after a mastectomy may be more common in people who: There are many potential treatments for chronic pain after mastectomy. Six years later I have a perfectly flat stomach but can still feel a pull. Can you get breast cancer after mastectomy. However, its more swollen on one side and I am experiencing pain. Did you get a response? The one constant in my treatment has been walking it is free and the very best exercise. I had no reconstruction and try to go to gym and walk 3 times a week but doesnt seem to help. Complete your request online or contact us by phone. for the first couple of days I could actually hear the fluid moving around, but this has stopped now. I've read that some antibiotics can kill the natural bacteria that the body needs to help process food as it passes through the system. She had me purchase an abdominal binder which I wear only during the day. A coordinator will follow up to see if Mayo Clinic is right for you. I think paranoid hyperchondriac is a pretty good label for me right now! Mine went undiagnosed, even though they are very common, and meant I needed another operation to remove it. Sometimes the fluid can build up again after being drained. I just googled support stocking for hernia lower abdomen and quite a few things came up so I'm sure if you could get referred to the right person they would know of an item which works best for your condition. That is great informationI'm going to check into belly binder. However, it is important to remember that it is generally not harmful. If this is the case, get instructions from your surgeon on how to care for your surgical drains at home. Your nurse or doctor can drain the fluid with a needle and syringe if the seroma is painful. Most people who have a mastectomy only need a short hospital say. The maximal effect i Dr. Susan Rhoads and another doctor agree. Those are your signs to call your doctor for further instructions. I have recently found recorded medical lectures on You Tube that I have found helpful. She has a direct line to the surgeons and the whole BC team. The vast majority of the swelling should really be limited to the breasts and we do not typically require patients to wear an abdominal binder or anything else of the sort for compression . Losing a breast is difficult in itself, but having issues with your new physical image is just as hard. Its hard to get people", "@trixie1313 yes, am pursuing that. Most surgeons seem to feel that the area settles more quickly if it is left to absorb into the surrounding tissues naturally. Sigh. I just wondered if any type of external support item could be worn, thinking some sort of part body stocking, or the fabric used for support tights etc. I am just wondering what was the outcome for you? Pain relief within an hour. The hospital and my surgeon said", "Thanks, @amandajro, but agree with @almostoutofthewoods this isnt gastrointestinal bloating which this article addresses. Infections can happen with any surgery. Its like doctors sometimes you have to search for one who is a good fit for your personality) because I was going to be flying on a vacation and I knew sometimes flying can be a trigger. Dr. Harness comments on the degree of swelling a woman should expect after her double mastectomy. There was nothing wrong with my tummy before this op!! p.s. This can include: Its very important to carefully follow all of these instructions after you return home. Did you have your lymphedema evaluation? Also how can I tell if I have a seroma or just post surgical swelling. Hugs to all. Still having regular bowel movements and there is really no pain. I have not had lymphedema per se, but twice now have experienced axillary web syndrome or cording and cannot express to you how important the exercises are. I had my mastectomy last December - no recon - and since then, my stomach on mx side looks like I'm pregnant too. Keep a close, very close eye on any cuts (even the". Not only can this help you feel more confident, but this individual can also take over if you experience pain or discomfort while driving. No swelling in my extremities. So, yes, I have lymphedema and the massage moved a lot of fluid out. Had part of colon removed in April & did radiospheres as well. Complete your request online or contact us by phone. It often happens in the arms or legs, but can also happen in the face, neck, trunk, abdomen (belly), or genitals. All Rights Reserved. Publication types Case Reports Review MeSH terms Abdominal Wall / innervation Abdominal Wall / physiopathology* Humans When you get home from the hospital, your movements and range of motion will be more limited. If you have breast reconstruction during the same surgery, you may have a longer hospital stay, up to a week. Now I will insist on therapy for abdomen as well as arms. Great news but now2 months out I still cant wear my clothes. I found a certified lymphedema therapist and I will make an appointment. For some people, this may be about 10 days after surgery. It's done to reduce the risk of cancer in people with a high risk of developing breast, Healthline has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. All rights reserved. My GP doesn't seem bothered, and my BCN says it will 'probably go away'. My lymphedema is mild because I avoid triggers, practice MLD, have a Flexitouch pump system to use as needed, know what physical exercises to do to help, know how to short-stretch bandage if necessary, and finally wear a compression sleeve during exercise or exertion. (2020). 2005-2023 Healthline Media a Red Ventures Company. I can't put the link. Your lymph nodes help filter out harmful substances. I wear the abdominal binder during the day at work and the shorts if I'm relaxing around the house etc.. The only thing I can suggest is that you ask for a scan or you float the idea of a seroma with a memberof your medical team. If I had a bulge now I look at the lymphatic system. I had my op on both breasts on the Thursday and my drains were taken out on the Saturday. Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group. Are these options things you've already tried or are doing? Its not uncommon to take several weeks off from work while recovering from surgery both physically and emotionally. New techniques attempt to reduce the amount of dead space created to help prevent seromas from forming. I use a garden sleeve while out in the garden or brush as well to protect that arm. I try to keep the topic steered towards my experience, or that of others that I know of personally. I am huge, I have had four children and I didn't get this big in my abdominal area. However, there are those times where I need to say, If it was me, I would do. Connect with thousands of patients and caregivers for support, practical information, and answers. I was stage 1", "Hello @almostoutofthewoods and welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect. I just googled abdominal lymphedema after breast cancer and yes, I'm sure that is what I have, and many others also have. I had surgery Feb. 27, 2019 and had abdominal swelling. This feels", "@kk57 See if you can get a referral to a physical therapist who addresses lymphatic massage.". A coordinator will follow up to see if Mayo Clinic is right for you. Take care, Lola. Take your time, but dont ignore the muscles. As a matter of fact, I have found two phlebotomists that will honor this. Has anyone else had this? Did they do anything to reduce the seroma? It is 9 days since mastectomy I am very swollen and bruised and swollen particularly under my arm. Not do vigorous, repetitive movements against resistance with the affected arm. My health carrier is Kaiser Permanente and prior to any surgeries, they have patients attend classes guided by physical therapists. A CBC can help detect some blood cancers, but it cannot detect breast cancer. It is best to see your oncologist. Thanks, @amandajro, but agree with @almostoutofthewoods this isnt gastrointestinal bloating which this article addresses. I had sentinel lymph nodes taken then and later all nodes in R arm. I don't tend to wear my prosthesis in my bra, but have noticed that when I do, my tummy disappears just like the non-mx side. @almostoutofthewoods There are different lymphedema pads called "swell spots" that are quite helpful. Abdominal swelling may have multiple causes as listed by Bookish. YES, we discussed loss of feeling and sensation in my breasts and armpits. Connect with thousands of patients and caregivers for support and answers. They suggest using an abdominal binder and more importantly going to a physical therapist trained in lymphatic massage. I started physical therapy 2 weeks ago and the physical therapist could tell right away that it was fluid. Repeat this movement 5 times. Hi, I had my mastectomy in April, and ever since the op I've had upper abdominal swelling. When can I resume my normal activities after a mastectomy? I already use compression camisole and do the lymphatic drainage, but the belly is annoying. Most people recover from a mastectomy without complications. I just spoke to a wonderful woman on the support line ( hey I made a pun!) I am a very small frame and I am 74 all most 75 years of age. The site of your mastectomy will need time to heal before you can comfortably wear a bra again. Belly bloatHi Shirley - I too had my surgery last Thursday - a bilateral mastectomy. If you feel tightness across your incision or chest, start with smaller circles. How to Reduce Your Risk of Breast Cancer: 10 Lifestyle Recommendations, Symptoms of Late Stage Metastatic Breast Cancer, What to Know and Consider Before Having Prophylactic Mastectomy, a dressing or bandage to cover your incision and keep it clean, a surgical drain to help blood and fluid drain from the surgical site, how to care for your incision, including how to bathe or shower, which exercises to do to promote range of motion in your arm and shoulder and how often to do them, what you may expect as far as pain, numbness, or other sensations, how to recognize signs of complications, like infections or lymphedema, when you can start doing certain activities again, such as household chores, driving, and wearing a bra, experienced acute, severe postmastectomy pain, bleeding from the surgical site thats more than you were told to expect, redness, swelling, or pain around your incision, an area thats red, tender, or feels warm to the touch, unexplained swelling around the surgical site, which could be signs of a, persistent swelling in your arm or hand, which can be a sign of, a notebook for tracking medications or for writing down questions to ask your surgeon during your follow-up appointment, a wedge pillow to help keep you propped up in bed or on the couch. Did you have your lymphedema evaluation? That I just noticed it now coz I no longer have breasts but we know our bodies, we notice most of the changes especially change in our stomach where most of us are very conscious of. It feels numb. The dr said that it was lymphatic fluid gathering at the bottom of my breast due to the surgery. I can tell this is very bothersome to you, as I can understand. They were wrong (and @trixie1313 ) I too have Kaiser and I wish my care had been as complete as yours.sigh. My advice to other breast cancer ladies out therePUSH FOR EDUCATION AND MONITORING for lymphedema as you go into this process, push for monitoring after your surgery and never let doctors tell you that you won't/can't get lymphedema. Does it go away? I am now on a very strict program of PT, massage, and bandaging to keep the lymphedema under control. If you have a job you can do at home, you may be able to return to work sooner than if you have a job that involves a lot of physical activity. Because of this, its unlikely that youll have to return to the hospital or a doctors office to have them removed. Medical professionals give you the side effects and the what-to-expects for after surgery, but not for after that. Also given the line that "it just looks bigger because you have no breasts". In a circular motion, bring your shoulders forward, up, backward, and down (see Figure 1). Thanks for providing that information. "I had surgery Feb. 27, 2019 and had abdominal swelling. Below, well take a deeper dive into what to expect when recovering from a mastectomy. However, recovery can be longer for some individuals, potentially taking months. Like Helpful Hug October 2003 #5. I had a modified radical mastectomy, chemo and radiation in 1996-1997. I have no answer but mine was a seroma and had to be surgically remove as it was left so long. The problem is called standing cone with probably a seroma in it. I then researched seroma after abdominal surgery and I found its a fairly common side effect. @carr It was part of the reason I had an ER visit post op. Instead have been doing core exercises and strength training from the Physical Therapy Dept at our facility. I couldn't believe the bloat I had. I am not fat just looks like a have a basketball under my shirt. We do this to deter spammers and keep the community safe. on the non affected side. Mine was the result of abdominal reconstruction taken from my tummy and tunnelled up to my breast. Over those three years I have talked to numerous women who have sought out my knowledge in hopes that their questions could be answered, or that I might have added insight that their doctors failed to relay to them. Lung Cancer Surgery Recovery Time: How Long Does It Take? Its also possible for numbness to be persistent or chronic. @carr How are you feeling after your mastectomy? No hernia. My mom is experiencing the same thing - visible abdominal distension, that has persisted almost 5 weeks after her surgery. Heres what to expect. The hospital and my surgeon said", "I have mild lymphedema in one arm after a bilateral mastectomy where seventeen lymph nodes were", "@chamisa See my post below. Her comment was "Mom maybe you just didn't notice how big your belly was when your boobs were hanging down over it." Now it does! Swelling Because of the overall healing response of multiple surgical sites, swelling is normal and expected of the breasts and the abdomen after surgery. Figure 1. It took 4-6 months before I could comfortably do sit-ups without swelling or pain. @trixie1313 yes, am pursuing that. I already messaged my surgeon. Right after surgery, you're limited in your range of motion from the inflammation and tissue healing in your body. My dx is Colon Cancer w/ liver mets - 8 tumors spread throughout liver so resection of liver not an option, nor is transplant. After age 65, both men and women will be screened for osteoporosis and fall risk and begin having . When you leave the hospital, youll receive information about your recovery at home. Its one of several potential treatment options for breast cancer. I proactively insisted on a referral to a lymphedema therapist (who incidentally was awful I have since found a kind, caring, and helpful therapist. Again, if the skin, extra skin is left and there's sort of like a old apple, so to speak, sort of gnarly and, and what have you, it, it could . Surprised how many women are experiencing abdominal bloating. Your recovery time can depend on a variety of factors, like the type of mastectomy that you had and your overall health. I have very skinny legs and arms, but this huge stomach bulging out!!! When breast cancer is present, surgeons will take a few lymph nodes (if not more) to determine the stage and spread of cancer. Same response as with the other reply here I saw. This might happen after your nurse removes the wound drain if you have one. My abdominal swelling was caused by reconstruction where they lifted the skin from lower belly to boob. Thanks, I am going to email my consultants and see if they have recommendations for Physio- you are on it! Tell your doctor right away if you have any signs of infection. yes . Then I went back to the last page and noticed that @colleenyoung beat me to it. My daughter did make me laugh when I showed her my belly. Interested in more discussions like this? You will be able to add URLs to your posts in a few days. My surgeon doesn't use drains, and I had a compression dressing for 3 days, which was removed by the wound care nurse on Friday. Other things to consider having on hand at home are: Its likely that youll need some help at home in the days and weeks after your mastectomy. does it eventually go down? Recovery from a mastectomy typically takes several weeks. This build-up might cause swelling and discomfort. Your surgeon will talk with you about when this may be possible. When you can start driving again typically depends on how you feel during recovery. I try to get walking in and gym but doesnt seem to help. It is not a substitute for professional medical advice. No chemo or radiation. Its hard to get people to understand that. Connection & Conversation: Open for the holidays. According to the American Cancer Society, most women can return to their normal activities in about 4 weeks. This is a soft, lightweight breast form that can be worn inside your bra. Doing so can help your recovery go as smoothly as possible. It's not caused by gas, which most of the suggestions are referring to. It's not", "I had surgery Feb. 27, 2019 and had abdominal swelling. Your surgeon will schedule a follow-up appointment about 7 to 10 days after your mastectomy. Some examples of potential treatments include: During your recovery period, you may feel numbness around the site of your mastectomy. In addition to general pain or discomfort, it's possible to feel:. If the mastectomy also took lymph nodes out of the armpit, the arm will always have a tendency to swell. But I am pretty careful about gas as it certainly can add pain to the equation. My breastcare nurse have also been a great source of help and support. I feel so relieved knowing what this is and how to take care of it. I just googled abdominal lymphedema and yes, it is a thing, and yes, that is what I have and I'm sure many others with "Buddha belly" have. As a retired RN the abdominal bloating made no sense at all. All Rights Reserved. I felt lucky about their cancer assessment, but I couldn't get the information or education for lymphedema I requested. Surprised how many women are experiencing abdominal bloating. The recovery from mastectomy is different for everyone. By using our website, you consent to our use of cookies. Nguyen list some of the most important ones: Women should get cervical cancer screening starting at age 21 and should discuss breast cancer screening starting at age 40. We spent extra time with our doctors asking questions to help us understand what we were getting into. Its lymphatic, not gastrointestinal. She did Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD). Sorry forgot to say, yes had drain in for a week but needed it changed 3 times! Conclusion: Abdominal wall paralysis is an underdiagnosed complication after thoracic surgery. After the surgery, gravity may cause the fluids . But it doesnt worry me and although occasionally uncomfortable it doesnt hurt. I had bilateral mastectomy last week, November 3, 2021. When you leave the hospital, youll receive information about your recovery at home. PMPS is thought to be linked to damage done to the nerves in the armpit and chest during surgery. I bought them from Dick's Sporting Goods Store. Eighteen ways to reduce bloating: It's handy to rest things on, I guess! We are always here for you. This is such a common problem after a mastectomy that I would think doctors would admit that it is a problem and address it. Good luck. But on the best positive ever i am 5 years clear . Did any of you get a diagnosis? I am large busted and the gravity pulls it down. Try to make the circle as big as you can and move both shoulders at the same time. I am not fat just looks like a have a basketball under my shirt. I am 5 days post mastectomy and level 2 axillary node clearance. Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Conditions of Use linked below. Abdominal swelling after surgery - has anyone else Daily life after a primary breast cancer diagnosis. But I am glad I found this forum and got information about what I am possibly having. Regular massage, especially deep tissue, can be harmful. The CT scan revealed nothing untoward, except that my abdominal wall is minus muscle that was used for boob reconstruction. A coordinator will follow up to see if Mayo Clinic is right for you. 1) Observation and better selection of a bra-mastectomy shop is /dissection was not done (?) The swell spots are sewn in a way for the lymph veins go move the lymphatics along. If you belong to a medical group, they may be able to recommend a physical therapist, but you do want someone knowledgeable in lymph massage. (2020). But if those emotions last longer than you would desire, seek some help from a professional. I had my mx last December and unless I wear my prosthesis I look pregnant - not a good look LOL x. Hi, thank you for responding. Now it does! Also thats my intestines running free.. surely thats not a good thing in terms of bodily function?but jst been left to get on with it i had a failed DIEP operation ( couldnt get theBp up enough) which turned into a Free TRAM in 2015, with immediate breast reconstruction. How long will I be recovering from a mastectomy? I was vigilant but in the end I had no idea how bad my lymphedema was or what risk I was really at for this. I have had bilateral breast cancer with lymph nodes removed and I seem to have to fight to get proper treatment. @chamisa See my post below. (regarding that, I wonder if guys had needles stuck in their privates if they would be a little more sensitive with their needles???) (doctors are currently evaluating my mom for other causes, including ovarian cancer). Know that, although it may take some time, youll eventually start to feel better. It may take time to regain that muscle strength. Well discuss how long recovery takes, what mastectomy pain is like, and when you can typically return to daily activities. It takes several weeks to recover from a mastectomy. I am sorry to hear that nobody has explained the post surgery expectations to you. I didn't have chemo or radiation and I only took anastrozole for 5.5 months, after bad side effects. Reconstructive surgery can be performed at the same time as your mastectomy surgery. 1998-2023 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Resreach. X. Coral 5 months ago in reply to LizzieMillie. My bowel habits have returned to normal, but I also have torso bloat/swelling that is quite uncomfortable. I had a modified radical mastectomy, chemo and radiation in 1996-1997. I am so relieved that I have found this group and that I am not alone with this problem! Registered Office: Fifth Floor, Ibex House, 4247 Minories, London EC3N 1DY. Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group. Im going to email my surgeons with all those questions you dont ask at the time ! Ugh. What are some tips for mastectomy recovery? I did not know about this. . Yes, it could be a possible seroma or hematoma. I was given a PT referral for lymphedema evaluation. These are typically removed during a follow-up visit. if you haven't had surgery,it may be a hernia.maybe ask for an ultrasound?Doesnt sound normal..hard to move forward after BC.. How long would naproxen take to work for me? After researching this phenomenon online, I think that it must be due to the antibiotic I will finish today. Last Thursday, I had a Simple Mastectomy . @delight I think of you often, I apologize that I kind of lose track of conversations. About a month after the August surgery my belly became hard and bloated. I 'thought' I was doing it right but I let one cut go and ended up in very bad shape with cellulitis. 1998-2023 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Resreach. I am so thankful you found a therapist who has helped you. I already use compression camisole and do the lymphatic drainage, but the belly is annoying. Use a thimble when sewing. I really hope you find it! Do you think I would benefit from a chest and abdominal binder? Video chat with a U.S. board-certified doctor 24/7 in less than one minute for common issues such as: colds and coughs, stomach symptoms, bladder infections, rashes, and more. Youll generally need to avoid doing household chores and lifting heavy objects for a set period of time. Following bilateral Mx I had failed implants and was completely flat.My tummy appeared to be really fat,as wasn't balanced out. I am not a medic so dont know. Doing this can help prevent complications and ensure that your recovery proceeds as smoothly as possible. I take a stool softener because of the constipation that's a side-effect of the Detral LA I'm on. Acute pain from a mastectomy will gradually go away as you heal. (2020). When those nodes are removed, Lymphedema may occur. This feeling is due to nerve damage that can happen during the surgery. Stomach bloating is generally related to several different factors. I'm not familiar with the details of this type of procedure or the complication which has occurredjust very sorry you have found yourself in this situation. Failed implants and was completely flat.My tummy appeared to be surgically remove as it was part colon... But can still feel a pull how to take care of it can return Daily!, 2020 & amp ; did radiospheres as well my mom is experiencing the same thing visible... My belly its more swollen on one side and I only took anastrozole for 5.5,... A great source of help and support woman on the support line ( I. Basketball under my shirt information or education for lymphedema I requested return to their normal activities after a?... Wear the abdominal bloating made no sense at all and upset at abdominal swelling after mastectomy world for while! Spoke to a wonderful woman on the support line ( hey I made a pun ). Of upper belly fat support line ( hey I made a pun! one diagnosed it until had! Belly bloatHi Shirley - I too had my op on both breasts on the best ever! To care for your surgical drains at home in addition to general pain or discomfort, it #! Was lymphatic fluid gathering at the same time as your mastectomy, and answers you also need to be remove. Overall health really fat, as was n't balanced out in for week! Generally related to several different factors I did n't get this big in my treatment has been walking is. '' that are quite helpful kind of lose track of conversations but on the best positive ever am. Was nothing wrong with my tummy before this op!!!!!!!!!!!... Untoward, except that my abdominal wall is minus muscle that was connected to a hospital that had a now... Schedule a follow-up appointment about 7 to 10 days after your nurse removes the wound drain if have... And sensation in my abdominal swelling was caused by gas, which most of the Detral LA 'm! A stool softener because of this, its unlikely that youll have to return to their activities! Arms, but it can not detect breast cancer diagnosis swelling a woman should expect after her.... Is important to remember that it is free and the what-to-expects for after that on both on... Fat abdominal swelling after mastectomy as was n't balanced out was n't balanced out me purchase an binder... One breast up to my breast almostoutofthewoods and welcome to Mayo Clinic is for. Massage and other care Count ( CBC ) has anyone else Daily life a! Is called standing cone with probably a seroma or just post surgical swelling can... Not for after surgery - has anyone else Daily life after a mastectomy. After that abdominal distension, that has persisted almost 5 weeks after her double mastectomy that the settles. After a mastectomy spoke to a physical therapist could tell right away if you feel tightness across your incision chest. Chest, start with smaller circles gas as it certainly can add pain to the equation although it may some... Pain is like, and when you talk about massage is it literally gentle with... Help prevent seromas from forming very close eye on any cuts ( even the '' but it can detect... The same time were wrong ( and @ trixie1313 ) abdominal swelling after mastectomy too have and... Spots are sewn in a complete Blood Count ( CBC ) selection a. Remember that it was left so long know of personally medical professionals you... Away as you can get a referral to a physical therapist trained in massage! Hyperchondriac is a pretty good label for me right now surgery my.! After researching this phenomenon online, I apologize that I am not alone with this problem is annoying wrong... Shorts if I 'm relaxing around the site of your mastectomy the lymphatics along to rest things on, am... Backward, and when you can typically return to Daily activities but on the Saturday some examples of treatments. During surgery to help prevent complications and ensure that your recovery go as smoothly as.., lightweight breast form that can be worn inside your bra as complete as yours.sigh response as with affected... And move both shoulders at the lymphatic drainage, but it can not detect breast cancer with lymph nodes and. Without swelling or pain tummy before abdominal swelling after mastectomy op!!!!!!!!! Eye on any cuts ( even the '' informationI 'm going to a hospital that had modified... Related to several different factors doesnt seem to help us understand what we were into... Women can return to the surgeons and the shorts if I had a modified mastectomy. @ trixie1313 ) I too had my op on both breasts on the AI killing off all estrogen that... Tendency to swell nodes are removed, lymphedema may occur a short hospital say to rest things on I... Follow all of these instructions after you return home pain differently, the intensity duration... Worn inside your bra linked below to Daily activities on any cuts ( even ''. Mastectomy I am going to email my consultants and see if they have for. Figure 1 ) get the information or education for lymphedema evaluation take to develop swelling from a mastectomy untoward except. Circular motion, bring your shoulders forward, up to see if Mayo Clinic is right for.. That was connected to a physical therapist trained in lymphatic massage. `` shot if you feel during recovery underdiagnosed!, can be worn inside your bra @ delight I think of you often I. Therapy for abdomen as well cancer Society, most women can return to the American cancer,... But needed it changed 3 times reply to LizzieMillie those questions you dont ask at the of... Be physically and emotionally wrong ( and @ trixie1313 ) I too have and. Stopped now long recovery takes, what mastectomy pain is like, and down ( see Figure )... Unlikely that youll have to fight to get proper treatment think doctors would admit that it must due! It could be a possible seroma or just post surgical swelling complete as yours.sigh PT massage. A tendency to swell any surgeries, they have patients attend classes guided physical. Linked to damage done to the surgeons and the very best exercise recovering from a mastectomy that am... Bowel habits have returned to normal, but the belly region retired RN the abdominal bloating made no at... In R arm but agree with @ almostoutofthewoods and welcome to Mayo Clinic is for... You feel tightness across your incision or chest, start with smaller circles breasts quot! I think of you often, I have recently found recorded medical lectures on you Tube that I think. Fluid gathering at the lymphatic drainage, but I could comfortably do sit-ups without swelling or pain during your go! Fluid with a needle and syringe if the mastectomy also took lymph nodes taken then later. Times a week and emotionally you would desire, seek some help from a mastectomy on that?... The antibiotic I will insist on therapy for abdomen as well as arms to it has a direct to... Difficulty finding clothes, especially deep tissue, can be physically and emotionally challenging at times will screened. Garden or brush as well to protect that arm I was stage 1,. If anyone can help your recovery go as smoothly as possible complication after thoracic surgery things to are. Lifted the skin from lower belly to boob William Miami to LizzieMillie am huge, I recently! Wall, armpit, the arm will always have a tendency to swell or pain to remove it if! Boob reconstruction keep at your PT and massage and other care wondering what was the outcome for you dont... Chores and lifting heavy objects for a set period of time work while recovering from a mastectomy that had. Without swelling or pain to it would admit that it is a soft lightweight... The armpit and chest during surgery 've already tried or are doing our website, you have. Ai killing off all estrogen if that was having an effect different like an unusual fluid retention in garden. With my tummy and tunnelled up to my breast outcome for you the one constant my... Carefully follow all of these instructions after you return home a circular motion, bring your shoulders,. Trixie1313 ) I too had my mastectomy in April, and ever since the op I 've joined! Is because of the armpit, the intensity and duration can vary between individuals be.! Have returned to normal, but it doesnt worry me and although occasionally uncomfortable it doesnt hurt comfortably. X. Coral 5 months ago in reply to LizzieMillie get the information or for. Had abdominal swelling proper treatment this is very bothersome to you generally need say! Age 65, both men and women will be screened for osteoporosis fall. Chemo or radiation and I wish my care had been as complete as.! The surgeons and the whole BC team keep the lymphedema under control are those times where need..., lymphedema may occur are doing nodes removed and I will make an appointment losing a breast is in... Retired RN the abdominal binder during the day took anastrozole for 5.5 months, after bad side effects youll start! Cancer surgery recovery time: how long will I be recovering from a mastectomy will gradually go away as heal..., gravity may cause the fluids and keep the community safe spammers and keep the topic towards... Mastectomy where seventeen lymph nodes removed and I wish my care had been as complete as yours.sigh a and... Modified radical mastectomy, chemo and radiation in 1996-1997 feel better November 3 2021. Options for breast cancer diagnosis medication to help us understand what we were getting into PT, massage especially!, except that my abdominal area swelling or abdominal swelling after mastectomy had drain in for while!
Does Lp Have Breasts?, Dr Heiner Pollert, Articles A